About Me

My photo
CA, United States
I have been a stay at home mom for the last 5 years. I love being with my children and feel so blessed and lucky to have the opportunity to do so, but I often get lost in the shuffle of it all. I have tried to lose weight and get in shape many times in my life, with varying degrees of success. It has seemed especially hard since having kids. So, I've decided to sliver out a little piece of time for myself to get back in shape and get back to feeling good about myself. I am hoping that this blog will help me find an outlet to talk about my experiences and find a community of people who have similar goals. I hope you enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy writing it!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An amazing breakthrough and the program draws to a close

It has been a tough couple of months for me and the C25K program.  I haven't given up though and despite the great desire to stay in bed, morning after morning, I forced myself to get up and go for my run.  Last week, I decided I needed to really take stock of my situation: (1)  I wasn't seeing any new results on my waistline, (2) I wasn't really feeling I could add more distance, (3) despite the fact that it is usually quite chilly, I was feeling too overheated during my runs, and (4) no matter how much stretching I did, my lower calves always seemed to be too tight to continue running. 

I decided I had to make some changes - both mental and physical.  First, I decided I needed to stop wearing my ball cap while running, so I braided my hair and clipped the bangs out of my face.  This may seem a minor point, but I can't stand having hair sticking to my sweaty face and I also hate the feeling of a pony tail or clump of hair bouncing on the back of my neck.  I also decided that I needed to loosen up a bit while I was running and take longer, more bounding strides.  I figured my calves were cramping up so much because the effort of taking smaller more controlled steps was working against me.

So last Saturday, I had planned on running in a 2M race.  I had been looking forward to it until I found that the route was mostly uphill and that by and large, people walked it.  Once I found that out, I decided I would be better off hitting the trail near my house and trying for a 2.75 mile run for week 8.  What a good decision this turned out to be!  Not only did the changes I made help, I felt totally in control.  For the first time in a while, I felt strong enough and sure enough to make it.  I stopped twice for about 30 seconds to catch my breath a bit, but I ran the entire way and in fact, when I got to my end point, I felt so good, I kept on running and by the time I stopped, I had run almost 3.5 miles!  That is the longest run I have ever completed and I was AMAZED that I had done it.  I repeated it again yesterday and will do so tomorrow as well and it is my intention to declare myself a C25K graduate once I have finished!

I am so glad I stuck with it through the rough patch and can only say that if you are out there and you are going through a rough patch and you feel that it just isn't clicking, don't give up.  Persevere and you will feel the rewards.  I can say this because I now know it to be true and if I CAN DO IT, so can you!

2 comments:

  1. Well done Theresa, so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! What are your plans now that you've finished the program?? Way to go!

    ReplyDelete